Sunday, January 15, 2012

From ”Coming up next week” to ”What went down this week”


Also, I totally got a new Twitter and Facebook logo!

Dear people and peepettes, I want to take a minute of your time and make you aware of a small change that I'm making to Light Speed Gaming.

If you're one of my regular readers (I'm talking to both of you now, so pay attention), then you are probably familiar with the weekly “What's coming up on Light Speed Gaming” post that I do every Sunday.
In these posts I round up what I've had on the site during the week and also give a sneak preview on what I will be posting in the week to come.

I've been using these posts for a few different reasons:

1) It gives me a chance to sum up on all the content that I've made during the week and gives readers a chance to quickly look at the highlights and go straight to the posts without mucking about in my archives

2) It provides an appetizer for what I'll be posting on the site over the next week and hopefully provides you guys with some incentive for checking back during the week to see the advertised piece of content.

3) It acts as a roadmap for myself to follow when writing posts. Basically when I've done my “Coming up” post on Sunday I have a pretty good idea about the stuff that I will be writing about during the week.

However, there are also a few drawbacks with this approach:

1) It somewhat kills my spontaneous creativity because I lock myself into writing about specific things several days in advance. If a new idea pops into my head I find that I ditch it because I need to spend my time writing the “promised” content.

2) It can lead to me feeling demotivated about writing because it feels to much like I'm “working”. Light Speed Gaming is a work of passion and not something that I want to feel like a job. If I lock myself into writing about specific topics ahead of time then it can feel like I'm making a to-do list that I need to run through instead of just writing what I want, when I want.

3) If there's nothing in my “Coming up next week” post that you guys are interested in then maybe you won't look at the site at all, even though I'm also posting other things during the week. Obviously if I'm listing out three or four different things and they're all completely “bleh” to you, then you may choose to spend your precious internet time perusing other websites. That is actually the reverse of what I'm trying to achieve!

Because of these issues I've decided that I'm going to ditch my “Coming up” posts and instead I'll just do a weekly round up of what I posted during the week.

This will enable me to be more focused on writing about stuff that just pops into my head and that I care about right now, which should hopefully lead to more interesting posts for you guys and a more enjoyable blogging time for me.

I hope that you're not too upset by this change and this shouldn't be taken as a sign that I don't want to continue writing or that I'm not constantly thinking about what I want to write about.
I want to thank everyone that checks in here on Light Speed Gaming regularly. I can see that traffic is slowly increasing and I hope that you're all enjoying the content here on the site.

As always, I'd be happy to receive any feedback that you have in the comments section!


Follow LightSpeedGmng on Twitter

 Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...