Friday, January 27, 2012

How a game renting service is making me a much more relaxed gamer

It might seem ironic to a lot of people that you can get stressed out about your hobby and especially a hobby like video gaming. Playing video games should be all about punching out from your everyday obligations and just relaxing, but that's not always the feelings that I associate with my favorite pastime.


You see, I am what you may consider to be something of a fanatic when it comes to trying out all the latest and greatest games. Whenever I start hearing people rave about the greatness of a game I get a terrible itch to go and check it out, to the point where I almost feel that I *have* to try the game in order to be a "real" gamer.
It's a big part of why I know all the stuff that I know about games and it's a trait that comes in very useful when you're running a blog about video games.
But it's also somewhat of a curse that can make me feel guilty about not having played Assassin's Creed Revelations yet, or drive me to play Rayman: Origins even though I really don't care at all for 2D platformers.
It's the kind of drive that really has no place in a hobby that is just there to waste away some excess hours of my life in an entertaining fashion.

But it is part of my personality and I guess if that is as quirky as I get, then I should consider myself lucky. At least I don't have some kind of debilitating OCD condition (12345), OCD condition (12345).

Anyway, the important part is that I've found a great tool that has really eased my pain and allowed me to feel a lot better about my compulsive game sampling disorder, or "CoGaSamDis", as I like to call it.

A few months ago I wrote down 5 tips for the busy gamer, where I described a few techniques that I use to keep on trucking and enjoying games while also having a busy "grown-up" life.
One of my points briefly mentioned that you might want to consider renting games, so you don't dump a lot of money into buying a game and then feel bad about not playing it.

I've subscribed to a game renting service that lets me have two games at home at any one time, which means I can get to try *any game I want* pretty much whenever I feel like it.
A big part of my problem previously was that I really wanted to dabble in a lot of different games, but realistically I knew that I would not play the vast majority of them for more than a few hours, so it was impossible for me to justify purchasing these games.
With the subscription service I just grab whatever games I'm vaguely interested in and I get to satisfy my irrational desire to take a taster bite out of any game that I've ever heard about and the cost is a simple fixed monthly expense.

I'll play Assassin's Creed: Revelations...eventually

It's also really great because it means that if I get tired of a game, then I can always send it back and continue playing it at a later date. I didn't get very far into Batman: Arkham City because there was so much other stuff to play at the time, but if there's a slow period during the summer months maybe I'll send for it again and play through the rest of the game.
It's not like if I had bought the game and then got tired of it, and that expensive box was just staring accusingly at me, trying to guilt me into finishing the game so I could sell it off used or at least justify purchasing another game.

Here in Denmark where I live, the concept of a game subscription service is only a couple of years old, so it's been a brand new experience to be able to get games sent to me in the mail and then just play away to my heart's content.
If any of you guys out there are also suffering from a little bit of CoGaSamDis, then I can highly recommend that you look into joining up with a game subscription service.

I can honestly say that being able to not worry about when I can justify buying a game and not feeling like I "should" be playing game X has really made me a lot more relaxed about my favorite hobby.

Follow LightSpeedGmng on Twitter

 Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...