Tuesday, October 4, 2011

5 things I can't wait to see in Mass Effect 3

I am a huge fan of the Mass Effect series.

I played the first game on Xbox and then again on PC (because I wanted to play the sequel on PC and had to get a save set up).
I have completed all side quests in Mass Effect 2 and played through all the DLC (Lair of the Shadow Broker FTW).

In short, I like me some Mass Effect!

So close, yet so far away..

So it's no surprise that I am hugely excited about Mass Effect 3.
Sadly it got pushed out from it's expected 2011 release window and into 2012, but oh well, more time to play The Old Republic I guess.

The Mass Effect universe is incredibly deep and there are so many things that I am looking forward to learning more about in the final chapter of the trilogy.

Here are the 5 things that I am giddy with excitement to see in Mass Effect 3:

5. Fighting the Reapers:

So of course I am very interested to see how the main fight with the Reapers turns out.
The first game did an excellent job at presenting these genocidal (galaxocidal even?) sentient machines as an enormous threat to all advanced life.

However, I think the second game did not do as good a job with this, with the focus being firmly on the Reaper puppets, in the form of the Collectors.
They were cool enough, but nothing says menace like a giant squid shaped spaceship.

Want to make a spaceship more scary? Add some effing tentacles

So I am looking forward to shifting focus back firmly on the Reapers in ME3 and kicking some planet harvesting squidship butt (if I can find their butts, that is).

4. More Mordin:

Right? Mordin was my favorite character in ME2, maybe followed very closely by Legion (but since Legion doesn't sing Gilbert and Sullivan, nuts to him!).

"Shhh... He might start singing any minute now..."

What I really like about Mordin is that he is not simply a two dimensional Jar-Jar Binks character, who is there only for comic relief.
During ME2 we see that Mordin also has a dark history, as he has worked on modifying the genophage that afflicts the Krogans.

It's clear that there is more to Mordin than just being a speed talking singing clown (there's an idea for your next birthday party), and I'm really hoping that ME3 will give us a chance to see this character evolve further.

3. The role of the new Shadow Broker in the story:


Anyone who's played through the DLC "Lair of the Shadow Broker" will know what I'm talking about.

I will not spoil it for anyone, who has not played through this amazing piece of content (shame on you though. Go get it right away!), but suffice to say that the end of this quest sees a new Shadow Broker installed and it is a person that Shepard knows well.

It is going to be super interesting to see how this new Shadow Broker will affect the story in ME3.

Hagalaz doesn't get many tourists, what with its constant ship destroying lightning storms and all

Will Shepard be getting lots of secret information to help him in the fight against the Reapers?
Will we see the relationship between Shepard and the new Shadow Broker cool as power corrupts the new Broker?

Also if we could return to the Broker's ship in the lightning soaked atmosphere of Hagalaz that would be very cool.

2. Development of the Geth:

To me the Geth are probably even more interesting than the Reapers.
While the Reapers are ancient, mysterious, malicious and just short of all-powerful, the Geth are a young race, split with indecision and fighting for their right to exist.

Meeting Legion in ME2 and doing his side quest really fired up my interest for the Geth.
It made you look at the Geth as not just some mini Reapers that were all trying to kill all humans, Bender style, but a race that was trying to find its place in the Galaxy.

Geth - They're not just about destroying all life

Honestly, if there is a decision to make in ME3 about helping the Quarians or the Geth, I'm not sure which I would with.

1. Tali's face (hopefully):

Just show us already, the public needs to know!

That Tali is such a face tease

Follow LightSpeedGmng on Twitter
Subscribe

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on all five points, except for "nuts to [Legion]!"; Legion does the robot, which may not be as cool as "scientist Salarian", but is still pretty cool.

    And if they don't show Tali's face, I'd be cool with just seeing a Quarian's face just to get an idea of what she COULD look like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point.
    Perhaps it would be better to just see the face of *a* Quarian instead of seeing Tali's face.

    Preserve the mystery

    ReplyDelete
  3. #5 The problem with this is it took the whole combination of the galaxy to beat off 1 reaper. Unless they have some stupid catch to equal the tides a bit I have a feeling it will be a horrible letdown.

    #4 - Yeah I thought it was funny too.

    #3 - I still haven't played the content. I'm waiting for the full edition of the game to come out before I play any of the DLC. If a full edition with all the DLC never comes out then it wasn't actually part of the story line anyhow. That is what they get for fracturing their story all over.

    #2 - I like the Geth, but what else do they need to develop? They are Reapers in infant form that got shunned by their "gods" in the first game. The second game they decided to join up because they realized the reapers don't want anything to do with them. So they might get friendly with the rest of the races...

    #1 - Don't care either. and I'm with the first post - A quarian would probably be better than tali.

    Me personally, I just want to end the Trilogy and put Mass Effect behind me. Between all the books, spin off games (iPhone) and all the extra stuff I have to hunt down to see what is really going on I'm tired. I just want to see how the end it (they will probably leave it open and end off Shepard somehow) and then be done with it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...