Friday, October 7, 2011

The Old Republic - The agonies of your first class choice

Christmas is going to be December 20 this year for me (or whenever the early access for The Old Republic preorders starts).

"Just hang tight for a couple of months more!"

I am looking immensely forward to this game and, like many other fans I'm sure, have already started thinking long and hard about what class I am going to play, when I finally get my grubby hands on it.

So far I have narrowed the choices down a bit by method of elimination:

Round 1:

I usually play a caster or ranged class.
I prefer to stand back from the fight and let loose with devastating volleys of firepower or aiding my party members with heals or buffs.
Getting up and personal is for the rabble, right?

So I will probably not roll a Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior as my first class.

Alright, so he does look cool. But having to run up to people and swing a lightsaber at them?
That's almost like manual labor!

Round 2:

I tend to play the "evil" side.
There is something very satisfying with the way that you can wield incredible power with no humility or concern for consequences as evil characters (unlimited power, eh Palpie?).
And although I hardly consider myself an emo kid, I do find the dark color schemes of the Sith classes very appealing.

That means that I'll probably go with the Empire faction.

That cuts out the Jedi Sage, Trooper and Smuggler as well.

Alright, so you got a large gun. That don't impress me much

Round 3:

Generally sneaky classes are not really a thing that I do.
I never played a rogue in WoW, despite playing it for 6 years and playing all other classes to at least level 40-60.
Creeping around in the shadows and stabbing people in the back is not that appealing to me.
When I kill my opponent I prefer to do it from the front, with the blast from my fireball casting a beautiful orange reflection off the eyeballs of my doomed victim.

Therefore I think I will not go with the Agent.

"What's that? You're not gonna go with me? Aww, but I just polished my rifle...."

Round 4:

That leaves us with the Bounty Hunter and the Sith Inquisitor.

That is tough.

My gut says the Inquisitor.
The Emperor was one of my favorite characters in the old Star Wars movies, with his manipulating ways and his awesome lightning (not so much with his getting thrown into a thermal shaft by a cripple with one hand).

The Inquisitor also simply looks nice and imposing in his "dark wizard" type getup so it really should be an easy choice.

"Oh please please please pick me!"

Buuuut... the Bounty Hunter is simply so frigging cool!
I am not a big fan of the new movies and I'm not even the biggest fan of Jango Fett, but I still think that a few of his scenes really nails the badass attitude of the Bounty Hunter, like his fight with Obi-Wan on Kamino.

I love the jet packs and the flame throwers.
The sense that whatever move you make, the Bounty Hunter will already have you figured out and have a counter measure ready (Just stay away from Sarlacc pits).

C'mon! She's got a flamethrower attached to her wrist!
That is pretty awesome right there

Decision time:

In the end I think the power of the Dark Side will probably win out and I will go ahead and make a Sith Inquisitor.

The chance to throw around force lightning in an MMO is simply too good for me to pass up on.

The Inquisitor has it. Now to practice going: "Power!...Unlimited...Power!"

Of course, that does lead to the next grueling question... What race?!... Ugh...

What are your thoughts on class picks for launch?

Follow LightSpeedGmng on Twitter

Subscribe

4 comments:

  1. Bounty Hunter. You made the wrong choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah well... Bounty Hunter shall be my 2nd character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Decided a long time ago on a Chiss Imperial Agent. There's an amount of intrigue surrounding the Agent that really appeals to me, and the Chiss are, IMO, a good fit for a cold, calculating character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The political intrigue of the Agent storyline (I am assuming there will be a lot of that) does sound really appealing to me.

    It's just that all the Agent combat I've seen so far has been kinda "meeeh" to me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...