Monday, September 19, 2011

New X-wing game in the works?

In space no one can hear you go "Noooo!", but I'm sure George Lucas would like to fit it in there some way all the same...

One of my most fondest video game Star Wars moments is that of playing Tie Fighter for the PC.

I came slightly late to the party and so missed out on playing the original X-wing game, which was also hailed as very good game.

Tie Fighter presented a pretty deep "sim-like" experience of piloting the spaceships, leaving you to do stuff like energy management and diverting shields forward or aft to boost your defense.

It allowed you to zoom through an epic space battle between Rebel Mon Calarami Cruisers and Imperial Star Destroyers (or older Victory Class Star Destroyers or Nebulon-B Frigates or... well, you get the picture. I like Star Wars).

Racing at full throttle along the side of an Imperial Star Destroyer while blasting at the X-wing in front of you presented you with plenty of "Hell yeah!" moments for true Star Wars geeks like myself.

And the graphics were very good, which really helped to put you in the universe.


Honestly, I swear, at the time, this was good look graphics...


Now it seems that the X-wing series may get a long long long overdue revival.
LucasArts are hiring some new people, among them someone with experience in "aerial combat games", particularly "space-based shooters".

Now I don't want to get my hopes up too high but if there really is a new X-wing game on the way then I may experience full nerdgasm...

You can check out the story at GameSpot here: LucasArts hiring

Just...just don't be prequel era games...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...