Sunday, September 18, 2011

Personal top 10 games list

As all good humans I am fond of sorting things and making lists about how great they are; movies, video games, meals, My little Pony comic books and so on.

These lists say more about what we value as an individual than about the objective quality of the subject being judged.
So I think that maybe showing you a list of what I consider some of the most memorable and formative games for me can give you an idea about what makes me tick.



This will give you more insight as to why, when I'm talking about something like Gears of War I'll be like "meh, it's a fun game with very strong graphics but I got bored after a few hours" instead of "Holy bananas this is the best thing to happen to cover based shooters since Space Invaders!!11".

I realize that most of these games have been surpassed by now with better and more modern takes, but I want to show what games really meant something to me rather than where you can currently get the most polished experience of this kind of game.

So without further ado, here is my personal video game top 10:

10. Mass Effect series
9. Dawn of War 2
8. Diablo
7. Master of Orion series
6. Transport Tycoon
5. Warcraft 3 and expansion pack
4. Dune 2
3. Command & Conquer
2. World of Warcraft
1. Anarchy Online

Anarchy Online is a sci-fi MMORPG that has now gone free-to-play.
It has not aged well but thanks to lack of alternatives is still an interesting MMO to check out if it has to be sci-fi



So, a couple of things you'll probably see as a common thread on this list:
Most of the games have a sci-fi setting. Most have a strategic or RTS element in them.
The ones that are not strategy or RTS games are role playing games.
Both first and second place are MMO's.

You may also notice the absence of shooters, platformers or generally very action focused games.
This is not to say that I don't enjoy these games (I like shooting a double barreled shotgun into the face of a flying burning skull as much as the next guy) but these are not the games that have really stuck with me and today I find that I rarely play stuff like first person shooters aside from a token Call of Duty every other year.

So please keep this in mind when you read my posts that I will gravitate towards enjoying these kinds of games more and I make no excuses for it.

I'd love to hear about your personal top games and why you think they were/are so great

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...